Go to top
- In early 20's Prince Burnett bought the Grayson Gazette from Mr. Barbery in Independence and moved it to Galax. Called it the Grayson Carroll Gazette for a while.
- Galax Furniture sold to the Vaughan-Bassett Furniture Company.
- Image R. A. Anderson started his Blue Ridge Bus Lines... local ladies seen in window.
- Add info about Matthews move to South main Street and Vass Kapp on the corner page 26
- Galax charter changed to a town manager form of Government and I. G. Vass became the first town manager.
- The Crabill's moved the Blue Ridge Printing and Galax Post Herald to the West Side of South Main Street, so the BLuemont Hotel could be built on the location.
- Dr. J K Caldwell and his family began construction of the Bluemont Hotel on the corner occupying the West side of Main Street and North Side of Center Street
- Vaughan Furniture began production in 1923
- Galax got its first paved street
- S. R. Dixon began a sawmill and in 1930. It was called S R Dixon lumber company.
- Higgins Oil Company formed this year by Macamet Higgins
- J. V. Webb started Web Furniture company
- Galax Knitting Company began operation in 1924 with J. T. Pollard as President and organizer. H L Harris was VP.
- Galax Rotery Club founded in 1924
- Galax Furniture Company started by C L Smith . Located between Vaughan Bassett and Webb Furniture companies.
- Galax Furniture Company established in 1925 by C. L. Smith
- McGuffy Coomes father of Robert Coomes) a Federal revenue agent, killed behind what was later Martins Clreaners, in a "Moonshiners' capture.
- Galax Hospital and Clinic was opened on July 1st by Dr. J. K. Caldwell. He had contracted with J. E. Davis & Sons to build the first Hospital in Galax on Center Street, a 30 bed facility.
- Appalachian Power began supplying power to Galax March 4, 1926
- John Messer Sr. came to Galax and started the Galax Mirror company in a shack behind Webb Furniture Co.
- First Baptist Church moves to North Main Street. The Friends (Quakers) bought the church from the Baptist that year. IMAGE
- Coca-Cola Bottling plant opens on East Oldtown street